Thursday, June 08, 2006

WHY PEOPLE LEARN KARATE
The other day I visited a public school. I was surprised to see a number of the classrooms being used for karate instruction, despite the fact that it is religion to some people. I suppose the students get P.E. credit for taking it.

I know more than a few young people whose parents spent $$$ on karate. If I ask them why they learn karate, the answer is often "so I don't have to use it." Huh? The second most common answer is "to build self-esteem."

I have observed many teenagers in the current crop (the generation not officially named yet) who have way too much self-esteem to begin with. I'll call them the Spoiled Generation. What they really need is a good a$$ kicking by someone who took boxing. Then they will think twice before using their karate.

Remember that whatever your techique is for defending yourself and your loved ones, Force still equals Mass times Acceleration. Don't kid yourself into believing a P.C. sport offers more than an ego boost. Evil is aggresive, focused, strong. And doesn't have to play by your rules.

Walk into the valley of the shadow of death with Faith and the Word instead.

No comments: