Sunday, October 02, 2005

WILLIAM BENNETT, 1984, AND THE ELEPHANT

America is a free country, right? Maybe not for long. If you watch news, you know by now that William Bennett said on his radio show that crime would go down if you aborted black babies. He then went on to say such a thing is not acceptable.

Of course, in the P.C. world we live in, the comments have raised a predictable firestorm of protest. Okay, I think the comment was insensitive, inappropriate, possibly even bizarre. I can see why it would offend some people. But I was offended by a sitcom I saw tonight, too.

I am not going to write a letter my congressman about it, though. I read the Constitution, and I didn't find a guarantee in there protecting me from being offended. But I do have a power switch on my TV and radio.

There are poeple calling for Mr. Bennett to be banned from broadcasting. Huh? If you're going to do that, please ban all of these gangsta-rap songs that cuss, promote hate, and offend women. When we remake our society so no one can be offended, we've brought Orwell's book to life.

What really bothers me is what Bennett said is probably the truth- even as offensive as it is. Should we regulate spreading of truth? If there is a bright pink elephant in our living room, are we not supposed to mention it? Get a grip, people! It's understandable to be offended, but it isn't your right to police what people think and say... yet.

No comments: